ORCHARD PARK, NY (MB) — A consulting agency confirmed what the president of SUNY Erie already knew, downsizing employees and considerably decreasing ECC South’s footprint is a should.
The school commissioned rpk Group, a consulting agency, to make adjustment suggestions because the three-campus group school faces plummeting enrollment. Enrollment has dropped almost 50% over the previous 11 years, the establishment at the moment has round 8,000 college students enrolled.
Key findings from the report confirmed ECC did not “right-size” college, employees, course choices or amenities to account for low enrollment. As well as, it was discovered working three separate campuses created “pointless administrative and educational constructions that perpetuate overstaffing.”
In March, ECC introduced its plans to mix 16 widespread applications scheduled at each the North and South campuses and hub them on the Amherst North campus. This implies a discount on the South campus.
“In all probability the best consideration frankly was underutilized area suggesting there are different issues we would have the ability to do with that area,” ECC President Dr. David Balkin instructed Minus Better’s Chris Horvatits in March. “However moreover the demographics. The inhabitants progress within the Southtowns is slated to be considerably lower than the opposite two places. ”
The rpk research urged going additional, now not utilizing South as a “residence” for any educational or administrative departments. This aligns with one other advice to unify the varsity as “one school,” transferring away from the multi-campus mannequin and eliminating low-enrolled applications.
ECC desires college students to know that if any of those suggestions are put into place, they won’t have an effect on present, energetic college students. These enrolled in applications which might be eliminated can end out their research. New college students keen on eliminated applications should discover one thing related with an energetic providing.
Listed below are a glance a the marketing consultant’s particular suggestions on lecturers:
- Eradicate applications with fewer than 30 college students enrolled (3-yr common), declining or single digit progress (3-yr common) and diploma manufacturing beneath 10 (3-yr common)
- Monitor applications which might be new (since 2018), have fewer than 60 pupil enrolled, have declining or single digit progress (3-yr common), and have diploma manufacturing beneath 20 (3-yr common)
- Restructure the educational choices of SUNY Erie underneath a ‘One Faculty’ mannequin that assigns each division to at least one ‘residence’ location, consolidates departments and departmental management to cut back the variety of departments, and removes all situations of duplicative departmental management constructions. Don’t use South campus as a ‘residence’ for any educational division.
Listed below are the suggestions on administration and employees:
- Transfer all central workplace ‘houses’ to Metropolis or North
- Cut back or reallocate staffing at South campus in particular capabilities to mirror the discount of pupil and operational exercise at that campus
- Redesign Dean of College students position
- Undertake shared service fashions for educational and pupil assist capabilities in addition to non-academic administrative assist roles
- Distribute employees throughout bodily campuses primarily based on pupil want and exercise:
- Create one cease outlets on Metropolis and North campus for direct pupil providers, resembling Admissions, Bursar, Monetary Assist, Registration and Advising
- Included on this advice is a necessity to maneuver as many pupil providers on-line (self-service) or ondemand through digital engagement as attainable to greatest meet pupil wants
- All place vacancyes needs to be evaluated to find out alternative for potential reallocations or place closure
“rpk’s evaluation affirms what our group already is aware of. SUNY Erie should right-size the Faculty’s employees, construction and footprint to greatest place the Faculty for achievement,” stated Dr. David Balkin, president, SUNY Erie. “Our priorities are confirmed by this report, and we are going to proceed to work with all concerned events to judge and greatest implement data-based suggestions to make sure the long-term sustainability and success of the Faculty.”
View the research beneath:
Patrick Ryan is a digital producer who has been a part of the Minus Better workforce since 2020. See extra of his work right here.